Test Preparation and Study Skills
Math Course Placement Improvement - MyLab Foundational Skills
Interested in improving your score on the Math Course Placement exam? The HFC Mathematics Department has developed a new opportunity for students seeking to improve their placement testing results. For more information, review the document MyLab Foundational Skills. Students with questions should contact Mr. Sam Bazzi (firstname.lastname@example.org; 313-845-6473).
Course Placement – General Information
For the most current information on Course Placement at Henry Ford College (HFC), visit the Course Placement page and Course Placement Testing page. These pages contain information about placement testing for ACCUPLACER, CaMLA EPT, and Chemistry. They also include information about the Assessment Center's hours of operation, retesting policies, and other relevant content.
Course Placement – Next-Generation ACCUPLACER
ACCUPLACER is an assessment used by HFC to test students' knowledge in the areas of math and reading. Based on the results, students are placed in a course that is most appropriate for their current skill level.
ACCUPLACER uses a multiple-choice format. There is no time limit, therefore it is very important to allow enough time to take and complete the assessment without feeling rushed.
ACCUPLACER questions increase or decrease in difficulty based on answers provided to previous questions.
To learn more about the next-generation ACCUPLACER, visit the following links:
Next-Generation ACCUPLACER includes information about test content.
ACCUPLACER Web App (account creation and log-in required) is a resource developed and designed to familiarize students with the style and content of test questions.
Next-Generation Reading Sample Questions is a PDF of sample questions from the next-generation ACCUPLACER Reading placement test.
Next-Generation Arithmetic Sample Questions is a PDF of sample questions from the next-generation ACCUPLACER Arithmetic placement test.
Next-Generation Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Sample Questions is a PDF of sample questions from the next-generation ACCUPLACER Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics placement test.
Next-Generation Advanced Algebra and Functions Sample Questions is a PDF of sample questions from the next-generation ACCUPLACER Advanced Algebra and Functions placement test.
Course Placement – CaMLA English Placement Test (EPT)
The CaMLA English Placement Test (also known as the Michigan English Placement Test) is a computerized 60-minute timed test. Students must take this test if they have graduated from middle school in a non-English speaking country.
There are 80 questions divided into four (4) parts, including listening comprehension, grammar, vocabulary, and reading comprehension.
To learn more about the Michigan EPT, visit the following links:
- HFC English Language Institute homepage
- Michigan EPT at Michigan Language Assessment contains information including test content and scoring.
- Michigan EPT Sample Items
- ESL Testing Information Sheet (from HFC English Language Institute)
- ESL Testing Information Sheet – Arabic Translation (from HFC English Language Institute)
- ESL Testing Information Sheet (from HFC Assessment Center)
- ESL Testing Information Sheet – Arabic Translation (from HFC Assessment Center)
Nursing Admission Test (HESI Admission Assessment Exam)
The HFC Nursing Program requires applicants to take the online Nursing Admission Test, or NAT. (HESI is an acronym for the name of the company that produces the test, Health Education Systems Incorporated.) To register, students must log into HFC Self-Service and search the course catalog for "NAT 100." The NAT is administered at the HFC School of Nursing's computer lab and is proctored.
To learn more about the NAT, visit the following links:
- Admissions is a page maintained by the School of Nursing and has information about the Nursing Program's admission process.
- HFC Campus Map (location of the HFC School of Nursing, East Campus)
- Nursing Admission Test (NAT) Subject Guide
Students may request help or ask a question (HFC Portal log-in required) about study skills, test preparation, tutoring, and other resources.
The LearningExpress Library (registration and log-in required), is hosted by the Michigan eLibrary (MeL). This site has free practice tests, tutorials, and e-books. It contains materials for the ACCUPLACER, NAT, and many other standardized tests (SAT, ACT, GRE, etc.). It also has content related to academic subjects and life skills.
Khan Academy is an online resource with videos covering many academic subjects.
(These tools helps students in understanding their current GPA and how it can be improved.)
- Calculate Semester GPA (http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm)
- Raise Your GPA (http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm)
- College GPA Calculator (http://gpacalculator.net/college-gpa-calculator/)
(This tool helps students avoid procrastination through planning how to complete assignments.)
- WSU Libraries (http://library.wayne.edu/services/instruction/calculator)
Videos and Other Free Materials
- Connexions (http://cnx.org/) - View and share free educational materials
- EdX (https://www.edx.org/) - Access to free online courses