The Learning Lab has a collection of anatomical models for students' use. These models are kept in the Biology Lab (AKA "The Bone Room") and must be checked out using students' HFC ID cards. Models are available for borrowing for up to 45 minutes. If models are not returned within the time limit, fines will be levied. Models cannot be removed from the Biology Lab (or, in times of high usage, the immediate area outside of the Biology Lab). All models are the property of the Learning Lab; students are not permitted to check out models for outside use or otherwise remove them from the premises. Individuals removing these items from the Learning Lab, or damaging these items, will be assessed the full cost for replacing these items.
The Learning Lab has an in-house library of course-specific and subject-specific textbooks. All textbooks are free for students' use, on a "first-come, first-served" basis. All textbooks are the property of the Learning Lab; students are not permitted to check out textbooks for outside use or otherwise remove them from the premises. Individuals removing these items from the Learning Lab, or damaging these items, will be assessed the full cost for replacing these items.
A list of our current books can be referenced at LibraryThing.
The MediaScape allows students to collaborate on group assignments by connecting one or more (up to 4) laptops to a shared monitor. Students can then toggle the MediaScape display to mirror the screen of their laptop. The MediaScape is also linked to an iPad, allowing students to use the educational apps installed for studying and skill-building.
The Learning Lab has headphones available for students to check out while using a computer. Please see a Lab Associate or student clerk to borrow headphones. Calculators are also available for borrowing. HFC Student ID card is required; these items must be used while in the Learning Lab and not removed from the premises. Individuals removing these items from the Learning Lab, or damaging these items, will be assessed the full cost for replacing these items.
Computers and Printers
- Printing is now easier than ever!
- Each of the computers in the Learning Lab prints to either of the two public printers (please note, computers in tutoring areas do not print). Just hit print, write down or take a picture of your unique document ID number, then follow the prompts at the print station. You may also choose to send a confirmation email to your account.
- Students may also send a print job to our printers from laptops or anywhere off-campus. Upload the document to PrintMe.com and obtain a document ID number to use at the print station. These unique numbers are valid for 24 hours.
- Printing requires a card payment. Students without a debit or credit card are welcome to add cash or change onto a free, reusable print card.
- Black and white printing and copying is $0.10 per page.
- Color printing and copying is $1.00 per page.
- Users may also print directly from flash drives, Google Drive, or a HawkMail account.
- Both of the printers in the Learning Lab may also be used as a photocopier. Payment is made with a debit, credit, or print card.
- Both of the printers are able to scan documents and send the resulting .pdf file to an email address or USB drive at no charge.
Please review the college-wide policy on computer use.
The Learning Lab provides free handouts for student use on a variety of subjects, including topics in ESL, Math, Reading, and Writing. Some handouts are informational/instructional, while others contain practice exercises and sample problems. These are excellent tools to use when working with a tutor.
These handouts are PDF files, and can be printed at no cost from within the Learning Lab.